Kismet, Serendipity, fate, good old-fashioned luck!

August 18, 2009 St. John's, Newfoundland

Ever think about those little twists of fate and timing that make up a life? Standing in a packed club listening to some amazing music brought that home to me.

How far back to go . . . If I hadn’t picked the Washington, DC area to start out in I’d never have met my husband. If I hadn’t met Russ, I’m not sure I would’ve found sailing. And definitely not sure I would’ve found someone that wanted to sail North to cold places vs. South like everyone else. If we hadn’t done most sailing trips in the summer, when the kids could come, we wouldn’t have gone North and if we hadn’t gone North to Nova Scotia, we wouldn’t have gotten intrigued with Newfoundland. If we hadn’t sailed around Newfoundland, we wouldn’t have been in St. Anthony when the Bartlett Celebration was there. For that matter if Perry hadn’t decided to try for the North Pole and hired someone from Newfoundland to captain the ship that got them as far as possible toward that pole, then the Bartlett Celebration would not have existed. Feeling like the lady that swallowed a fly?

And if we hadn’t serendipitiously been tied up in St. Anthony when the Celebration came through, we might never have heard the beautiful music they played while setting up the exhibitions.

“Who’s that? And where can I get a CD?”

“It’s a new group from St. John’s, The Once. Stop in at O’Brien’s in St. John’s and get a copy.”

Which is how, after a delightful sail down from Bona Vista where our delightful crew left us, we found ourselves in “The Oldest Store on the Oldest Street, in the Oldest City, in North America – O’Brien’s.”

“Excuse me, do you have a copy of The Once?”

“No, I’m afraid we’re sold out.”

Cue the woeful expression on my face . . .

“But you can hear them tonight at their CD Launch party at The Ship.”

And that’s how we ended up standing in a jam-packed room listening to this awesome group.

Here they are at the performance at The Ship. We were standing to the left of the cameraman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfkzKHeoBY

Check them out at:

www.theonce.ca

No comments: